Tuesday, February 19, 2008

the technology question

I used to champion technology as the cure for our environmental woes. However, this class has thus far shed light on the fact that technology isn’t necessary the savior to the problem. I don’t think we can just say, “Don’t worry. Technology will save us.” And sit back and keep recycling and wait for the scientists/technologists to create their miraculous technological cure.
I believe that technology should play a part in solving the environmental crisis. But, as I mentioned on last week’s discussion, we need some major laws and policies so that green technology can get some funding for research and development. I don’t think anything is going to save the environment or us from total collapse or destruction until the United States federal government gets a lot more serious about these issues. Once they do, I definitely think technology should play a role changing the way we will lives for the better. In environmental terms, I think the technological advances that are going to “save” us are whatever gets us away from oil and coal…newer, more efficient, clean everything.

No comments: