Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Is GM food also good for our health?

There is one thing that I think about food and the environment. That is, I never prefer to eat or buy genetically modified food. GM food is generally considered as good and effective technology for the environment, but somewhat I have a huge thought (or even could be a streotype) that GM food is not safe to consume. I have this thought in my mind because, in my country's society (I'm from Japan), more and more people are getting very sensitive about GM food's influence on human body and health. For instance, some vegetables and friuts are growing fast unnatually by techonology force. Those techonology and product might have harmful influence on human health. There is a lot of media coverage that warns us potential danger of artificially modified unnatural product. There might be no such problems with GM foods and products, or they might have, or maybe it depends on foods and products.... People are unsure how it influences on our health. I'm not sure myself if they are safe or not. Not many products have those label or notice, but whenever I can, I try to check and see if there is such a label or notice on the product to avoid consuming GM food/product. Even GM product is a great technology for the environment, I'm not so willing to consume those products. (I hope this was not different topic from the blog question....)

I drink coke every day and I think drinking coke every day is a bad influence on the environment. As we tried to estimate how much effort were put into make just one can of coke in class, we learned one can of coke takes a lot of materials and processes in a lot of places. And in fact, it is comsumed by many people in worldwide.

No comments: