Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Making Sense of Our Actions

I absolutely think that Cradle to Cradle is an excellent book. I think that it offers real insight into the environmental world without causing too much depression. Usually environmentalists propose a very negative view of what the world is going to turn into if humans continue what they are doing. I think that their idea is not too optimistic, but it is nice to hear some options that do not really involve killing off the human population.
I actually think that, especially for jobs that demand creativity and imagination from its employees, it is important to have windows to the outdoors. Sitting in a dark cubicle or office can actually impede the thought process of the human brain. It has been scientifically researched that exposure to the outside world while working inspires each workers' best. I loved the idea that they put out about the "outside" offices. It makes sense and, like the blog question we answered last time, it involves a meshing of humans and nature. I think that it is both important and a wonderful, inspired idea. If incentives were offered to all companies I think that they would view it as a feasible possibility.
I thought that when they talked about the three R's they were dead on when they explained that these things are only possible if the design and manufacturing of products that we consume are made to be recycled and made of materials that did not harm the environment after recycling. The Cradle to Grave idea that they present is very much the way the major industries and manufacturing companies are run today. Soon there will be no grave for the products and we will need to look for new places to put our wastes.
I also think that their idea about not just making things less bad, but completely change the way we do things. We can still live healthy and luxurious lives, just with a few changes starting with the materials used in manufacturing.
The beginning of the book was really intriguing and really made you sit down and realize that all of the things that environmentalists tell you are not really that scary if we do something about it. I loved the ideas that they proposed with designing for reuse and recycling. I think what they say makes a lot of sense and it is the first piece that I have read that did not make me want to crawl under the covers and get away from it all. They actually made it interesting and exciting to maybe get on board this new idea and to help it prosper. I believe in what they say.
It makes me happy that both writers were from different backgrounds and were able to bring practical ideas as to how to reshape the world in terms of environmental issues.

No comments: