Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Humans and Nature

There is not one particular experience that I have had which I would call my "most enchanting/thrilling" experience in nature. However, my family has traditionally gone camping and hiking and backpacking regularly, in the several states in which we have lived, so I have been out in nature a good deal. Being out in nature gives one a much better appreciation for the world. It reveals what the world is like when it is untouched by man. These experiences helped me appreciate life outside of cities and are a part of what has fueled me to study how we change the environment.

I believe that nature is absolutely worth saving. After all, we as humans are a part of nature, though we have gone far above and beyond the normal level of interaction with the environment. There is also no telling what the world will be like if we don't protect nature. Will we even be able to survive? And if there is a massive species extinction, how much knowledge will we lose? We simply have no way of knowing, and that enough is reason to be careful about how we treat "nature."

No comments: