Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Me In Nature

I have had a couple thrilling experiences immersing myself in nature's bliss.  One such experience would be my bike tour that I took in Ireland.  I biked the southern coast and it added up to about 500 miles.  I was biking for 3 weeks and it was wonderful.  I had never felt so alive and so a part of nature.  That was our only mode of transportation from place to place and along the way we explored natural phenomena and natural beauty.  I still remember the smell of the clear air due to the minimal amount of cars on the road.  I remember feeling as though the outdoors were exactly where I wanted to be at all times.  Another really great experience was when I went to Costa Rica.  There I did some volunteering in the rainforest and my second week was spent kayaking the bay.  This area was far from any city and any real civilization.  We had to either pick or catch what we ate and the water was our road.  We went fishing without real fishing polls and that was our dinner cooked over a fire.  It was an amazing experience and I had never felt so one with nature.  Coming from a town so close to New York City, it was hard to imagine a place so natural and wonderful.  I loved the experience and I really felt different interacting with nature and not being surrounded by man-made things all of the time.  I would recommend to anyone who feels they have lost touch with nature or do not like it to go on a trip like that one.  It really opens your eyes as to how sustainably one can live without excess stuff and to really share nature with the surrounding creatures who are not necessarily trying to outrun you like other humans are.  It is amazing sharing nature with other non-human beings.

No comments: