Monday, January 28, 2008

Environmental Destruction Is Avoidable

I believe that the most important environmental problem is definitely consumption.  The amount of resources on this earth are enough to feed the entire population equally and substantially.  I think that if people just consumed enough so that there was a little less waste, then we would be able to make it work and live sustainably.  People are always going to use the earth for in every way that it can serve them, it is just about using resources wisely.  Environmental degradation is and will be in the future caused by excess waste that humans produce.  Just because there are more people, it does not mean that environmental destruction is inevitable.  I, myself, am a large consumer and I consume enough to poison the earth with my waste.  If everyone lived like me, we would need almost seven planets.  This to me is important and I think that if we all made an effort to consume at a comfortable level with no too much excess, or recycled everything, even clothing, then we would be alright.
Living in an "environmentally friendly" way means that we live in such a way that we are conscious of the amount of resources we are using in ratio to the amount of people on the earth that go wanting.  Recycling, reusing, and reducing the amount of waste that we have is all a part of living in this way.  I try my hardest to be conscious about how much I am consuming and wasting.  I do not preach to others about being environmentally aware, but I know very few people who are completely apathetic to environmental issues and concerns.  

No comments: